Topic detail page
Previous page
Showing posts 1 to 23 of 23
World Cup 2018
Topic posted by Bob ... dated:02 December 2010
The decision to award the tournament to Russia may well be contraversial for a variety of different reasons. All that aside, the economic benefit to our region had we been successful would have been huge by any standards and losing the right to host it is not good news!
Re: World Cup 2018
Reply posted by Dogsbody ... dated:17 July 2018
I think the lads should hold their heads high.  They lifted our spirits for a few weeks and there was a real buzz around.  The economy has benefitted, people were happier for a short time and we can now look forward to greater things.   Well done I say.    And can we please have more guys wearing their waistcoats.. 
Reply posted by Aardvark ... dated:16 July 2018

Well he's certainly got a new station in life, on London's Piccadilly Line.

Reply posted by Edward ... dated:15 July 2018

Is it true that Gareth Southgate is going to be awarded a knighthood for services to the waistcoat industry?

Reply posted by Bob ... dated:14 July 2018

So, the tournament is all but finished. It appears to have been a huge success and our national team has acquitted themselves with considerable distinction.

Imagine if we knew then what we know now? How things may have turned out differently and who knows, maybe Russia will as a result of experiencing the positive affect of tourism, became a more inclusive, open and tolerant society?

Reply posted by Jilly ... dated:04 December 2010
I am only sorry that we didn't get the world cup, it would have been good for us as well as giving everybody something to talk about instead of the economy.
Reply posted by George ... dated:04 December 2010
Tom,

What about the £2.5 million loan that the government gave to assist the World cup bid, that will have been paid back if England's bid won? Is this not tax payer's money?
Reply posted by Tom ... dated:03 December 2010
Fine Eric, you continue to believe that.  Some of us actually know what we're talking about.
Reply posted by Sherbert ... dated:03 December 2010
Sorry I just remember a really good time x people forget how much fun it was to be in Manchester - England was doing well, there was very little trouble and we had lots of of visitors from abroad. I remember sitting in a pub watching a game with a whole load of Dutch & Czech fans and having a fantastic time x I am not sure if Portugal did not cope because I wasn't there - perhaps there wasn't enough favours to go around.

As for the theory that the Inland Revenue has bankrolled the bid, the FA gets no money from HMRC, it comes from a variety of sources - including Wembley, FA Cup sponsorship, England football team sponsors (even a few quid from everyone who pays Sunday league)...........the UK goverment may have chipped in a few quid to fly HRH and the PM over but hey, you've got to speculate to accumulate and sometimes it doesnt pay off - especially if certain media in your own country don't do you any favours and you have a murky organisation that tend to favour countries that have very little football infrastucture so they can ensure that if you win & need new stadia, you have to use approved contractors - no prizes for guessing which 22 have financial links to the contractors.........
Reply posted by EricJ ... dated:03 December 2010
Tom, If you think the Inland Revenue has not been used you must be living in cloud cuckoo land. The three representatives are already on big money and if you pay Tax Tom you have contributed to their expenses. It is Cameron and Co who have put Englands case forward and not the FA.
Reply posted by Bobbie ... dated:03 December 2010
Sorry I just rememeber a really bad time x people forget  x Portugal did not cope.
Reply posted by Bob ... dated:03 December 2010
I do not want that in my Country Thankyou.

I'm making an assumption what you mean here, but you do have "that" in your country - it's in every town and city every Friday and Saturday night!
Reply posted by Sherbert ... dated:03 December 2010
As a person with a keen interest in football I do not object to the £15 million spent on the England presentation by the FA, nor do I object to the various sums spent by local councils (Manchester spent £145k), I don't think it was a waste of money.

I remember Euro 96 and what a boost that gave to the country.............
Reply posted by Bobbie ... dated:03 December 2010
It would have been horrendous if England had got it . I remember being in Portugal when the football was on . Forgive me I do not think it was the World Cup it was another one but the way fans behaved was disgusting . I do not want that in my Country Thankyou. Give me a Wedding anytime at the end of the day football is just a bag of wind kicked around a field.
Reply posted by Tom ... dated:03 December 2010
> what a waste of yours and mine Income Tax.

I wasn't aware I paid income tax to the FA. 
Reply posted by Christof ... dated:03 December 2010
Just a game! I don't believe you can say that. The money and kudos generated for the whole country by hosting the most prestious event in world sport would have been phenomenal. I personally don't watch Rugby, but with that world cup being hosted by England in 2015 I believe it can only benefit the economy and the country as a whole. Therefore it follows that a winning a bid to host a global event which is played and watched by more of the worlds population than any other would only bring a welcome boost to this beleaguered country. 
Reply posted by AnotherPete ... dated:03 December 2010
But what about the extra costs incurred by e.g. policing of the events, increased security, infrastructure / facilities construction...?

Personally I'm glad we didn't win it.  It's a ridiculous amount of fuss and cost for what is ultimately just a game.
And had the bid been successful Eric, would you have been complaining about the countless millions our economy would have benefitted from?

I very much doubt it.
Reply posted by EricJ ... dated:03 December 2010
As a person with no interest in football I object to the £15 million spent on the England presentation, what a waste of yours and mine Income Tax.
It may sound like sour grapes, but the whole process seems to be wrong. Even up to Sepp Blatter announcing the result, he was making remarks that indirectly had a pop at England and our press. Maybe with hindsight, Panorama should have delayed their broadcast but if the opinion of the free press can have such an influence on the outcome then of course, the process is corrupt.
Reply posted by AnotherPete ... dated:03 December 2010
Divad - Qatar are apparently promising air conditioned stadia, powered by solar energy. As one who doesn't follow any sport however I confess I couldn't care less about the World Cup.
Reply posted by JohnH ... dated:02 December 2010
I was shocked when Sepp Blatter opened the envelope and said "Russia!" I was expecting him to say "Where's the money?"
Reply posted by Divad ... dated:02 December 2010
So right Bob but it will do wonders for the Russians too. They are going to have to build new stadiums and infrastructure. The worst decision comes for Qatar, they have nothing but a team ranked somewhere around 115th in the world, no stadiums to talk of and temperatures of over 40c at midday. The game will suffer under those conditions unless they play at night.
The trend now is to give the games to up and comers watch out for Australia or South America for the next awards. You have to be a poor nation now to get the cup and England has too much to offer.
Previous pageTop of the page